Looking for a way to create texture and depth in your piece? Well we have just the product for that! Introducing our NEW Crackled Texture. This base product creates cracks and crevasses on which you can add paint over top. It is best applied on a flat horizontal surface, as the product is self levelling. The thicker the application – the more defined the cracks will appear. It’s a great way to add character to your piece with an aged and weathered look.
Achieving a Crackled Paint Effect
- Crackled Texture
- Fusion Mineral Paint: Brook
- Putty Knife and/or chip brush
- Liming Wax
- TSP Altenative
- Lint free rag
- Sanding pad
- Staalmeester Brush
1. Prep your surface as you would to paint with Fusion. Use TSP Alternative to clean, then give your piece a light sand and removing excess dust using a lint free rag.
2. Pour a generous amount of the Crackled Texture medium over your surface. Spread with a putty knife or chip brush. (Note: The thicker the layer, the larger your crackling will be. Thinner layers will result in small cracks).
3. Allow to dry for 6-12 hours. (Feel free to get creative and re-apply the Crackled Texture. As a result, added layers will give your piece even more depth and texture)
4. Paint over the dried Crackled Texture with the colour of your choice. We used the colour Brook and applied with the Staalmeester Brush.
5. To add some nuances, you can add coloured wax. In this piece, we used Fusion’s Liming Wax.
6. Then we distressed the painted door by scraping away some of the surface. This gives it an increased weathered look.
The piece is now ready to stage and style for your space!
What will you use Crackle on? Leave your project ideas in the comments below!